Chinese Oral examinations are very important to every candidate aka you or your children as it is 25% of the Results. And it is spoken so most will score high for this paper. However, there are some things to note if you want to Ace this examination.
Step 1: The 10 minutes of preparation
When you sit in front of the laptop watching the slide on the recitation passage and the video, most just do whatever they are taught to do and they will miss out on a lot of details which is important to you!
3 little steps to do prepare for recitation:
1) Read the passage once slowly and fill in all the words you don’t know with some words that sound right.
2) Now, read the passage quickly and make sure you do not stop at all. practice this until you sounded confidence and reads non stop.
3) Lastly memorize the first line so that you could look at the eyes of the examiners while you are on the first line, this will show the examiners that you are prepared.
3 little steps to prepare for Video conversation:
1) listen and memorise the Verse at the first 15 seconds of the video. Make sure you know the meaning of that verse. If you need to, rewind and listen to it until you get it. This verse is very important as it is the theme of the eOral examination. You do not want to miss this verse.
2) Then as you watch the video you should find that the video is actually separated by scenes that shows the some theme. Study each scenes carefully and rewatch to make sure you catch the story line. every action and object you see in the scene, you should be able to name them in Chinese……….well if you cannot use Chinese for some, just find the most familiar name or a generic name that you can find in Chinese. Make sure you can describe a scene very vividly with wonderful vocabulary for best results.
3) The 3 questions are very easy,
question 1 ask you are details in one of the scenes.
question 2 ask you if anyone you seen/heard had done such acts?
question 3 ask you how insititions such as school/community/family could encourage such acts?
Step 2 Waiting Area, that would be the another time waster but we are going to sit there and do mental exercises memorising the video details and answering the questions in our minds. Do not waste time idling at the waiting room.
Step 3 Greet your teachers and ask for permission to seat! and sit gracefully with hand on table. (unless you forgot your video, you have 1 last chance to watch video again NOW.)
Step 4 answer whatever questions teachers asked politely. DO not rush it, smile if possible.
Do not play with your hands or look everywhere, stay focus and if you can look at teachers.
Lastly here are the past year questions for you reference
Day 1 公德心
Day 1 关心朋友
Day 2 邻居
Day 1 帮助同学
Day 2 图书馆遵守规则
Day 1 (learning in school)
问题 2 你有上过好玩有趣的课吗?
问题 3 除了课堂学习，你还可以做什么来取得新知识？
Day 2 (huan bao)
The past topic are from my memories and so they are just a reference for your study. Some are incomplete as I just started to collect those and I did not asked all the necessary questions. Now I know the first questions and following related questions are important to note too.
NOTE: 转向题 : what are they? they are impromptu questions that seeks to clarify and help students to express their views correctly. They help teacher gauge students ability but they themselves are like guiding questions. Just answer them and you are fine.
Good luck all for your Chinese Language Oral Examinations!